THE FOUR DAY FESTIVAL WILL TAKE PLACE AT THE STATE OF THE ART SOWETO THEATRE
June 14th – 17th 2018
Soweto International Jazz Festival is the first international music and arts festival dedicated to the historical region of Johannesburg, South Africa. The SIJF is a one-of-kind experience, which will spotlight the rich cultural currency of the township with a rich supply of international music, art, cuisine, history, luxury accommodation and adventure & exploration. The event takes place at the state of the art Soweto Theatre complex with indoor and outdoor spaces, vendors, artists, food, workshops, and VIP events design to not only educate, but to connect people via the magic of music and art.
Amidst the growing global appeal of Pan-Africanism and the beauty of African music and culture, The Soweto International Jazz Festival debuts in Johannesburg, South Africa June 14-17th 2018 at the Johannesburg Theatre Group’s, State of the Art Soweto Theatre Festival Complex.
The festival was inspired by, and dedicated to, a place that is revered for its history, beautiful people, creative and artistic passion. The multi-genres, international artist line-up will include Grammy Award winning stars such as Third World, Bob James, Deborah Cox, Spyro Gyra, Neville Brothers, South African Jazz/R&B star, Ernie Smith and for his first ever performance in South Africa, the legendary Charlie Wilson. The four-day celebration is also a tribute to Hugh Maskela and Nelson Mandela’s 100th birthday.
The Soweto International Jazz festival is the first international music and arts festival dedicated to the historical region of Johannesburg. It spotlights the rich cultural currency of the township, with a rich supply of international music, art, cuisine, history, luxury accommodation and adventure & exploration. With five indoor/outdoor stages, there will be non-stop music throughout the four days of events, as well as panels and master classes.
Each day of the festival will feature its own theme: Celebration of Our Future, Power of Women, International Night and Inspiration. See the schedule details below:
Day 1 – Celebration Of Our Future
- A celebration of the future, dedicated to the youth.
- Grammy Award-Winning songwriter and producer, Rico Love, will launch an educational program designed to engage young people who aspire to be a part of the music industry.
- “I Love Music Africa” workshops will take place during the day, with concert events happening in the evening.w
Day 2 – Power of Women
- “Power of Women” day is dedicated to women’s empowerment.
- Daytime workshops will include: Vision Board Sessions, Health, Strength & Wellness and Mining Your Own Business.
- Workshops and panels will take place from 10am – 4pm on June 15th with live social media streaming.
Day 3 – International Night
- Will feature a performance line-up of Pan African, Local and International artists.
- There will be VIP artist interview panels, acoustic performances and media broadcasts.
Day 4 – Inspiration
- Concerts with Jazz and Gospel artists from across Africa and the US.
- Panel discussions will take place from 12pm-4pm.
- Evening performances will take place from 5pm – 9:30pm.
“The festival is designed to help create connectivity among people of the African diaspora and celebrate the indomitable spirit of Soweto and its people”, says Ernest Kelly, Managing Partner of IAS Agency and Executive Producer of the festival.
Ticket prices for the festival are as follows:
- 1 day – R450
- 2 day – R750
- 3 day – R850
- 4 day – R950
Limited Offering/Specials: special terms apply
- Student Specials – R150
- Residential Specials – R150
- 1 day – R1,000
- 2 day – R1,800
- 3 day – R2,200
- 4 day – R2,800
For additional information on tickets and travel packages, please visit https://www.sowetoijf.com.
Follow the Soweto International Jazz Festival on social media for the latest news and updates:
Facebook, Twitter and Instagram – @sowetojazzfest